All Good But One

Cuddles The Cat
Thanks for the program.  It has caught fakes in my files that I could see when I used the frequency spectrum chart.  I was surprised... and glad I bought it.  I'm new to this fake music file issue.

Why though does the program sometimes show all FLAC files from a CD are good except one or two.  I have a set of FLAC files from a CD and nine are marked as good.  The bit rates match and the frequencies (cutoffs?) are all 21878.  One file, however, is marked bad.  The bit rate is 320 instead of 900 and the frequency is 20498.  The frequency spectrum is:

I know it is possible that one file of 10 could be faked but detecting only one or two from what appears to be a cohesive set of files copied from a single CD seems to happen fairly frequently... at least in my collection.  Could the program actually be identifying a fake or could it be that the file is fine and is just on the line where is appears fake?  I am using the more aggressive setting but it happens on the less aggressive setting as well.

At the moment, I am looking at the frequency spectrum of each file identified as fake and "trying" to make a good guess.  It is easy when there is a hard frequency cutoff showing an mp3 file but it gets more confusing trying to identify files where the frequencies may have been artificially elevated.  To my inexperience eye, the frequency spectrum above looks good.

Thanks.
Yev

Re: All Good But One

Yev
Yep, I'm having the same issues. All tracks are good except 1 or 2. Whether it's downloaded music with accurip log files or retail cds, same issue. My analysis settings are aggressive, allowing cutoffs above 20000 Hz. The following picture is from retail cd .

Re: All Good But One

Cuddles The Cat
Thanks.  It's hard to believe that only one or two files from a CD would be faked... though I'm sure it happens.
Looking at the frequency spectrum of your song and being inexperienced, I might have thought there is a cutoff at 16 kHz... but maybe that is just the nature of the song and it is the same thing that causes the program to identify it as fake.  Just guessing...

Re: All Good But One

Cuddles The Cat
Here it starts getting weird... at least for me.  The following file passes:

Passes

But this file fails:

Fails

They are different songs from the same CD and same rip (not mine).  Both seem to have very similar frequency spectrums... reaching above 20 kHz.  I'm not sure why one passes and the other fails.  It is something I can't see... yet.  Could it be something to do with the song?  I read once that mastering can affect the song and could be the reason why a file might fail.

I guess I just want to know if the file is genuine and if I am hearing what was intended.  Perhaps I should stop fussing and just assess whether I like it as it is.