FLACs ripped from CD detected as fake.

lolzilla
I've just ripped some FLACs from a CD using Foobar2000 and check them out of curiosity in FtF. Only one of the tracks passes the FtF test:

first track:

track 06, the only one detected as "OK":

I also check them in other programs. Lossless Audio Checker shows them all as "clean". On AuCDtect Task Manager, only 4 of them pass the test.

Now, I think the problem is the source itself. This is a CD made in Spain, it's the very first album of an indie band with a heavy garage rock sound so maybe the production and mastering tools were not the ideal at the time of this recording thus the resulting CD/FLACs but this is only my theory.

BTW, I "got" the same album/FLACs a couple of years ago from the "web". A couple of months ago I checked them using FtF and the other tools and got the same failed results so I ordered the CD because I wanted the real thing. The spectrograms for the old files and the freshly ripped FLACs are identical. Today I learned that no all the CDs are made equally and not all the FLACs reported as fake are totally fake.

Anyway, I would love to read the opinions and thought s of anyone interested in this particular case and if you want some logs or any other file just let me know.

Foobar2000 log:

10 out of 10 tracks converted with minor problems.

Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 1
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 2
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 3
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 4
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 5
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 6
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 7
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 8
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 9
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).
Source: "cdda://00989D7F" / index: 10
  AccurateRip status: Accurately ripped with offset: -586(2).

Re: FLACs ripped from CD detected as fake.

josepadilla
Hi, I use this software only since some days and if I check my tracks there are around 35% fakes (in aggressive mode)  and still 15% fakes without the aggressive mode. All tracks are downloads, some from doubtful sources but some from official download-stores. I checked some Hi-Res-Files and the result was, a part of the Hi-Res-Files are 320kbp-tracks. So I don't know which I can trust more: The software or the tracks?

I wrote already to the developer of the software but till now I don't get any answer.

Re: FLACs ripped from CD detected as fake.

Enesco
Hi,

I just started to use Fakin'TheFunk, and I have a similar problem;
lots of my flacs are marked "bad" although I ripped them from CD's using CDEx;

I am not an expert in digital audio... am I doing something wrong?
I thought FLAC is a lossless format?

regards,

Enesco

Re: FLACs ripped from CD detected as fake.

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Yeah, flac is lossless
However, if the source material was low quality, then the flac rip won't improve the quality...

On the other hand, it is not 100% possible to get the real bitrate from the frequency spectrum, it is always a "guess".
For the files reported as "fake", I'd recommend to check the spectrum manually.

Files having a frequency > 20 kHz are really good quality, But I have customers that insist that a 48bit flac must have frequencies way beyond this limit (even if you can't hear them), therefore FTF is really "strict" when checking.

For "practical use", allowing cutoffs > 20 kHz is the best solution. (see gearbox dialog)