Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Nothemould
Hi,

Firstly, the website really needs a page that lays out the basic concepts of digital audio, what the features of a perfect digital file are and what the defects can be, how those defects are caused and how to avoid causing them, how to interpret the spectrogram, and how to judge the results FTF produces. It would be really helpful for using FTF and I’m surprised this isn’t offered. I guess the info can be learned by researching out on the web or searching through this forum but I feel the fundamentals that every FTF user needs to understand should be laid out and explained on one easy to find information page. The current information is just a superficial summary of what FTF does.

I analysed my large collection acquired from various sources with default settings and got about 12% “fake”, “7%” corrupt. A higher incidence of problems that I was expecting but OK, if it’s true then I want to know.

However, paying closer attention to a subset of about 150 lossless albums that I know are genuine and legitimately sourced (from Bandcamp) a huge proportion of these albums indicate having a couple of “fake” files among the good ones. For example, all of an album will be good except one or two files which supposedly have low actual bitrates like 128, 256 etc. Is this measurement credible? Why would this be? It doesn’t make sense. Is Bandcamp known for providing a lot of dubious files? These come from a whole range of different artists or record labels.

A smaller subset of files sourced from Juno Download were better with just a couple found indicating “fake”, but again this is unexpected.

So based on the above, how am I to judge the reliability of all the other apparent fake results among my files of uncertain origin? Do I need to examine every spectrogram and make a subjective judgement call?

Re: Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback!

Have you tried the "user guide" available at https://fakinthefunk.net/userguide?
The first chapter gives an overview about the basic concepts...

I'm currently working on an online-feature so that you can upload the requency-spectrum of questionable files and let them be rated by the community. And maybe I can then later include a kind of KI that can improve the results automatically.

From my point of view: lossless files with a cutoff-frequency above 19.8 ore most likely to be good enough to play, but it's always worth to take a deeper look ... The world is full of fake

Re: Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Nothemould
ah thanks, yeah that guide is what I need. Look forward to reading it. (I still can't find any links to that guide on the front page or anywhere, by the way)

Re: Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Yeah, that guide it rather new... It's currently accessible from the latest version of the app by hitting the F1 key or in the about/settingsdialog... Have to update the website soon, but there is always sooooo much to do.

Re: Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Nothemould
Just want to let you know I've read the guide and it was very helpful. You should definitely put a link to it somewhere prominent on the homepage. I think I have a pretty good understanding now of how to interpret the results the software produces, and I have successfully created some customised buttons and icons for appending comments to the "Comments" field in my file tags. I think I will find the software quite useful and use it regularly.

Re: Feedback and a couple of questions from a new user

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Thans for letting me know