Identify badly scratched CDs?

mcbacon
I recently ripped my entire CD collection, some of which were pretty scratched. It'd take way too many weeks to listen through it all, but I figured out I could output waveforms and see the worst scratches pretty well.

But I'm still left with manually going over 10,000+ waveforms. I'm wondering if there's some settings that would let me use Fakin the Funk to detect scratches like the one pictured below. I ran it through on the defaults and it came back clean (though with a lower bitrate than you'd expect for lossless captured from CD)

Re: Identify badly scratched CDs?

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Fakin' the Funk? Can't do this, but AudioExpert has a feature to scan for such errors!
(Unfortunately, the website is in German only, but the app itself and the  help is available in English, too)

You can test the feature with the free trail version!

Re: Identify badly scratched CDs?

mcbacon
Oh this is excellent. I see it does duplicate detection as well...

There's a feature that's ridiculously niche, so if AudioExpert has it I'll be blown away... but... I do have a bunch of duplicate CDs (ebay, you know).

With 2 lossless rips of the same track from different (but duplicate) CDs you could patch over the errors AudioExpert detects automatically-- just grab the data where it's good. With 3 duplicate lossless rips you wouldn't even need error detection, just take the two values that are most similar to each other, average them, and toss out the third.

Up until now I was thinking I'd have to write something with pyDub to automate this process. I know it's WAY outside the scope of a normal app, but you've given me a glimmer of hope-- does AE do error correction as well?

Re: Identify badly scratched CDs?

Fake No Funk
Administrator
AudioExpert has an option that enables this "error-detection" on the fly when importing. And it will not overwrite existing songs with a "better bitrate, but containing errors"-version.

But it does not replace an existing "erroneous" file with a "same bitrate, bit without errors" version - only if the bitrate was better... Maybe this is something I should modify :)