Problem detection of lossless files

HefaistoS
Hi there! :)

I have a few questions if you can help me.
Why this song show OK ? Because it isn't. And the software knows it too. (it shows 19507 which isn't a true lossless file)
I've attached 2 photos.

It works ok with lossy.
From 7  transcoded lossless files just one was tagged as FAKE.

Thanks!

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Please check if you have deactivated the option "Report fakes also above 256 kbps" in the settings dialog!
If so, then this will be the reason; activate it and re-analyze the files then!

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

HefaistoS
Thank you very much, you were right! This  problem was solved.
But I noticed other ambiguities.

I've posted here an image with a *.wav file that is transcoded. With the cut-off just slightly above 20khz that is tagged OK but it's not.

And after that i open the file in another spectrum analyzer to confirm that. Here's the photo:

Now i'll upload a picture with a "healthy" file and how the spectrum should look.

I'm sorry if I'm too insistent with this kind of problems but I noticed it's not reliable with lossless files. I mean...from 7 files now 5 are good.
The program is great and I have been waiting for this for such a long time, but it needs to be improved. I hope you can make from this software what we have been waiting for so long.
(Also sorry for my english. I'm not a native english speaker :D)
Kudos!

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Well, there is not really a cut-off. There *are* frquencies above 20kHz, but not very loud ones.
Especially for tracks that are somehow silent in general, this is quite normal and does not mean that those are fakes.

And even the "clipping" shown in the other spectrum analyzer is way above 20 kHz - even a dog has difficulties to hear this ;-) :-)

Anyway:
What happes if you turn on the "aggressive" analysis mode in the settings dialog? Does this make a difference in your case?

My main problem is: If I make the analysis even more aggressive for this case, this will result in more false positives in other cases. It's not so easy... I've inspected really a LOT of spectrums...

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

HefaistoS
In this case yes, but i still have 4 files that aren't accurate. One more example is this one, which is for sure transcoded:

this photo is taken with another analyzer:

In my opinion, I think that this software It's too "precise" (don't know how to describe it) with lossless files and that's why it sees them as OK. As in the case above, you were right, there is not really a cut-off, there are some frequencies there .. but for me it's clear a transcoded file (and the tracks are by no means somehow silent. i use it for electronic music in 99% of the time)
I rather have false-positive ones an checked them after that (it should normally only be a few compared to the number of true OK tracks)...than having OK tracks that actually are not.. and slip into my collection forever :)).
In this case I rather checked all of them manually :D.

Thank you again for your help!

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

Fake No Funk
Hm, well, then I'd suggest in your case to sort the analyzed files by the detected peak frequency and inspect all those below 22 kHz!
Since FakinTheFunk has detected the - in your eyes - proper cutoff frequency, you'd have that preselection you are looking for!

20 kHz is the level where "normal" mp3 files are defined as 320 kbps and FakinTheFunk uses this as "maximum quality"...

And another thing:
As of the next version, you can batch-calculate frequency-spectrums so in case you want to verify them manually, you can simply select those "candidates", let Mr. Funk calc the spectrum (this will take some time of course) and later check them very quickly!

Can you please explain once again what you said about the new version feature? I didn't understand very well :D

Re: Problem detection of lossless files

Fake No Funk
Administrator
I just wanted to say that the next release will have a new feature:
You can select multiple files in the Listview, then hit the right-mouse-button and pre-calculate all Frequency-Spectrums for the selected files in one batch (to a destination folder of your choice).

If you have to inspect several files manually, this might save you some time: While Mr. Funk pre-calculates the spectrums, you can drink some coffee or take the dog for a walk or so :-) After the spectrums are calculated, you can watch them with any image viewer very quickly (normally, calculating the spectrum for a single file takes some few seconds which might be annoying when having to do this multiple times.... That's the idea behind this!)

Next version will be available soon!

...the new version is out right now; download and install the update at https://fakinthefunk.net