Save bitrate in the bitrate tag rather than in filename

Save bitrate in the bitrate tag rather than in filename

huckfinn
I'm brand new to this program and already love it overall.   Wish I had it years ago.

I see  that you already allow saving text to the comments tag, so you've taken on the metadata issue.

Wouldn't most people want to save the REAL bitrate into the bitrate tag?     Then you can sort the subpar files easily,  don't have ugly filenames.   I'm kind of surprised you don't have this feature, it seems obvious.   But maybe there are technical problems I don't anticipate.    thanks.

Re: Save bitrate in the bitrate tag rather than in filename

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Since the bitrate information is not a "tag" (as the other id-tags like genre, artist, tracknumber etc.) but a file property, it is not possible, see:

http://forum.fakinthefunk.net/Why-not-overwrite-the-claimed-bitrate-of-a-fake-file-with-the-real-one-td126.html

Re: Save bitrate in the bitrate tag rather than in filename

huckfinn
OK,  good answer.

Why not allow people the choice of having your REAL bitrate  inserted/appended to  the comment tag rather than filename?

For simplicity, I would think  a global parameter that people can switch would  be adequate.   Most people will always prefer one way or the other.
Or you could just add more options to the drop down menu.

This would be a significant improvement, from my perspective.  I have a hunch many others would prefer that unpleasant information be  somewhat hidden in comment field - it can be easily displayed and sorted there..