Why does "fake" bitrate detection stop at 256kbps?

Why does "fake" bitrate detection stop at 256kbps?

beatsystem
Hi folks.

New user here, have searched the forum already for an answer, but I'm still a little confused.

Why does "fake" bitrate detection stop at 256kbps?

I'm testing all lossless files, so this seems odd - are you saying that FTF would not be able to detect a 320kbps MP3 re-encoded as a WAV or FLAC ?

I presume higher values are tested, but nothing "actual bitrate" above 256 is ever shown in the results.

This is obviously a little infuriating, as 320 re-encodes are as likely as lower bitrates. (Even more infuriating if dealing with a 96k or 192k lossless file.)

Also, why dos a file have to be rescanned after "Report fakes also above 256" is checked? Surely this is a display option, not something requiring reanalysis?

Any wisdom appreciated, thanks in advance!

Re: Why does "fake" bitrate detection stop at 256kbps?

Fake No Funk
Administrator
You can activate to report fakes > 256kbps in the settings dialog. And yes, it currently requires a reanalyze of the files :-/

The new version (will be released in a few days) will allow you to define this level on your own.