Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Hoggorm
Hello,

This tune from Star Wars A New Hope Remastered is from a CD I've ripped myself. It shows up as a fake. Reported bitrate is 626 but actual bitrate reported by FTF is 256.

As far as I can see however the frequency spectrum is not "cut-off" like a "normal" fake file. To me it seems to go all the way up to above 22kHz.

So why is this a fake?

Re: Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Hoggorm
A hopefully larger screenshot:

Re: Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Fake No Funk
Administrator
Well, it's not a "hard" cut-off, but the amount of samples reduces significantly starting at ~15kHz
It's not a proof, that it is a fake, but it's a strong indicator.
High quality files normally don't show such a drastic reduction in the upper frequencies.

Re: Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Hoggorm
Thank you for the quick reply.

This is the only tune in the album that returns as a fake. Could it be because this is a classical piece? They often contain soft parts.

This is how the file appears in Spek:

Re: Why is this a fake file? Need help understanding the frequency spectrum

Hoggorm
Is there a way to force a "deeper" analysis of the file?

This is the relevant album: