false results?

samurad
Please, why is it that other audio source codec inspection softwares, like auCDtect Task Manager and Audiochecker, detect some flac files as of lossy origin which Fakin´ the funk? detects as of lossless origin?

Re: false results?

Fake No Funk
Administrator
FTF cannot detect if the used codec was losless or lossy.
It can only detect if there are cutoffs that are unexpected for the claimed bitrate.

Re: false results?

samurad
Thank you very much for your answer and information :-)
You mean cutoffs in terms of frequency range? I would really appreciate more technical details in order to understand the mechanism based on which the program determines "real" and "fake" files. If you know of a link where it is explained...

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM Fake No Funk [via Fakin' The Funk?] <[hidden email]> wrote:
FTF cannot detect if the used codec was losless or lossy.
It can only detect if there are cutoffs that are unexpected for the claimed bitrate.

http://fakin-the-funk.2370306.n4.nabble.com/false-results-tp551p552.html
To unsubscribe from false results?, click here.
NAML

Re: false results?

samination
Sorry for stealing this. So it considers vinyls that are pressed with tracks that are cut at around 20khz as mp3?

I got 2 set of FLACs and a MP3
1 FLAC is a vinyl rip (first stored as 24-bit WAV and then compressed to a 24-bit FLAC)
1 FLAC that's a "remaster" (based on the labelowner's words)
and
1 MP3 that goes up to 22khz.

First example is my vinyl rip. This one (with more from the same artists) have most likely used a cutoff filter some kind, as most of these vinyls predates the wider use of MP3.

Second example is from a remaster bundle that was sold in wav format, but clearly contains mp3 compression artifacts. FTF detects this as alright because there isn't a clear cut off because the remasters ups the ante on the artifacts (even though visible there is a clear cut-off)

Third and last example is a MP3 from a label where quite a lot of the mp3's are filling the spectrum with no clear compression artifacts. If I were to trans-code this to a FLAC, I doubt FTF would know it was from a MP3... which it didn't, as it said the file wasn't fake (when I clearly trans-coded it from a MP3!)

Note: I am using Foobar2k to see if a file is really fake or not, as it's the only tool I have compared to spek and FTF that actually shows mp3 artifacts at higher freq.

Vinyl Rip FTF
Vinyl Rip FB2k
Remaster FTF
Remaster FB2k
MP3 FTF
MP3 FB2k
MP3 to FLAC FTF
MP3 to FLAC FB2k

Re: false results?

samurad
Why are you appologizing? I´m happy and thank you for you posting this important information! :-D
I understand. So FTF is not capable of detecting compression artefacts.
Then do you know of any program that is capable of doing so?
Or the only possibility is to visually inspect the spectrogram of every track?!
And if so, how do you spot the artefacts?
Thank you in advance for your answers :-)

Re: false results?

samination
It's just an english expression for intervening/interfering. It doesn't really have anything do to with being sorry.

Re: false results?

samurad
Thank you for the explanation and I would really appreciate if you answered my questions :-)